Saturday, August 6, 2011

Project Zucchini Part One

I'm sure you were just on the edge of your seat waiting for a post last night... and then probably threw something at the computer screen when you found out there wasn't one!  I couldn't seem to squeeze one in since I was either feeding a child or working on charts while pumping.  Yes, that is when I write this, when I'm pumping.  4 1/2 months going strong.

Recap of yesterday:

Breakfast was another delicious smoothie.  Same exact one as Wednesday.

Lunch was this delicious salad.  I was super pumped about it because a patient brought in some cucumbers.  Nothing says summer salad like fresh cucumbers.  Also added some chicken, sliced almonds, feta cheese and dressing.




Supper was a treat of Casey's pizza.  I was thinking, I should probably call this blog Small Town Sometimes Healthy Living.  Last night was definitely not healthy, but it was easy and quick.  We brought the pizza over to some friends' house since they watched Tyler for us.  No picture, since I inhaled it.  Think I had 2 pieces of taco and 2 pieces of canadian bacon and pineapple.  I tell myself they were small pieces.



Now on to today.  Started my day off with some pineapple Chobani with shredded organic unsweetened coconut and chia seeds.



Lunch was an open faced turkey sandwich.  I used some mesquite Hormel no preservative turkey, a piece of Ezekial bread, a wedge of garlic and herb Laughing Cow cheese, and some spinach.  The cheese helps the sandwich feel a little more creamy- and not so dry.






I threw in a handful of these goodies- gluten free crackers.  Love the crunch.  I usually get the cheddar kind, but these are good as well.



So why the title of this post?  Besides catching up with this week's Project Runway- make it work!- this is what I've received from some of my favorite patients this week.  Lots of fresh zucchini!



Lots.  Now what the heck am I going to do with it all?  I've got some ideas... this is how I used up 3 of them today.  Stay tuned for part two.

2 of them I sliced up thin and made zucchini pickles.  Here's the recipe (courtesy of Cooking Light), but I won't have the verdict until tomorrow.

Zucchini Pickles

4 c 1/8 in slices of zucchini
1 c slivered sweet onion
3 thinly sliced garlic cloves

Combine in a glass bowl.  Bring 1 c white vinegar, 1/2 c sugar, 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper, 1 tsp mustard seed, and 3/4 tsp kosher salt to a boil.  Pour over zucchini, onion and garlic.  Cover and chill for 24 hours.




Notice a glass of my cooking juice in the background... it helps, it really does.


The other zucchini I cut up and used for supper.  I bought a couple sirloin steaks today and threw them on the grill for supper, made a quick brown and wild rice side, and a yummy veggie basket on the grill.  I learned my lesson this time, I steamed the carrots, zucchini and broccoli for 3/4 minutes before putting them in the grill basket.  I added some green pepper, grape tomatoes, onion and salt and pepper and threw it on the grill.  I stuffed my face, but only took about 1/3 of the smaller steak and filled up on veggies and rice.  Hubby ate the other steak- the whole thing.  What a guy.



I did try another new recipe tonight for some homemade granola bars which may or may not be vegan?  Like that matters to me... although it might scare people away if they are.  They are in the freezer firming up, so I'll let you know how they turn out.

Just a walk today, no major cardio.  Saving that for tomorrow!

No comments: