Thursday, August 18, 2011

3/5 ain't bad

Remember those 5 goals I had for today?  Well, I accomplished 3 of the 5.  At least I didn't just sleep all day.

I did finish all my charts.  Yay!

I did go for a run, even though it was just a short one.  I walked Tyler while the hubby did a track workout, then I ran a short mile and a half while he pushed Tyler around the bases on a baseball field.






My attempt at a self-portrait with Tyler.  Whoops.

I did clean the kitchen, kind of.  Hubby finished it up and made it sparkle.

I did NOT go to yoga.  That wasn't my fault though, since I got an email this morning saying it was cancelled.  :(

I did NOT get any work done in the clinic.  One of these days I need to buckle down and get organized there!

Meals for the day (you're gonna like supper...):

Breakfast- whole grain toast with peanut butter and homemade low sugar raspberry jelly



Lunch- turkey and sharp cheddar sandwich on a wheat bun with spinach and jalapeno mustard.


Also made up a batch of my quick "guacamole".  Mashed one avocado in a bowl, added some cilantro from a tube (love this stuff) and a sprinkle of garlic powder.  Ate it up with some blue corn organic tortilla chips.


 Dessert was a frozen cut-up banana.  I let Tyler bite at a couple of them because they help soothe his gums and he doesn't mind the taste.




Supper- Hubby grilled some turkey broils with cajun seasoning, steamed broccoli, and some homemade beer macaroni and cheese!  Found this recipe on one of the blogs I read and decided to try it out.  I didn't have any whole wheat pasta left though, so I had to use regular pasta, and it wasn't even elbow, it was a box of shells. The only beer in my fridge (that wasn't a Bud Light Lime) was a Bud Light with a born-on date of Dec 2010.  I opened it to make sure it wasn't too skunky.  It still turned out awesome.



Here's the recipe from How Sweet It Is (with a couple modifications from me)


Easy Beer Mac and Cheese
serves 4-6
2 1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat elbow noodles (I used plain shells)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
8 ounces milk
8 ounces beer 
8 ounces freshly grated cheddar cheese (I used colby jack)
4 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
pinch of black pepper
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Prepare water for pasta and boil according to directions, shaving 1-2 minutes off of cooking time since pasta will continue to cook in the oven.
Heat a saucepan over medium high heat and add butter. Once melted and sizzling, whisk in flour to create a roux and cook until bubbly and golden in color, about 2 minutes. Add milk and beer into saucepan whisking constantly, then add cheeses and stir until melted. Turn heat down to medium and continue to stir, cooking for 5-6 minutes while mixture thickens. It will most likely NOT thicken like regular mac and cheese because of the beer, but you want it to thicken a little bit. Stir in pepper.
Add noodles (once cooked and drained) to a casserole dish, then pour cheese over top, mixing gently to combine. Top with panko bread crumbs and an additional sprinkle of cheese if desired. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.
Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.

We do enjoy some homemade mac and cheese, and this was perfect.  Not too rich, and it had the crunchy top, my fav.

I did whip up a little dessert because I had three peaches that were getting pretty ripe.  Cut up the peaches and put them in a microwave bowl, topped with about 1 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup brown sugar and a couple tablespoons of yogurt spread.  Popped it in the microwave for 7 minutes.  Instant peach crisp.  

Not as good as regular peach crisp, but our apartment was already so hot from supper so I used the microwave.  It isn't really too crispy when you make it that way, but it works in a pinch.
Off to bed... tomorrow should be interesting... no babysitter.  Let me know if you're not doing anything!

No comments: