Thursday, September 1, 2011

The return of yoga

After an early morning full of baby kicks, conference calls and pumping, I finally made it to a yoga session!  Started at 9:30 and I ran in just as it was starting.  It was a little hard to slow my brain down, but I managed.  I'm still a little sore from the Shred workout, so it felt good today.  I think yoga will have to move up on my priority list.

I didn't bring my camera to yoga, but wanted to share a pose we did today.  I've done it a couple times before, but today it had a special meaning:

The happy baby pose
Source


If Tyler can do it, so can I!  Only after doing this he puts his feet in his mouth, which I definitely cannot do.

Breakfast today was some black cherry Chobani and cinnamon raisin Ezekial bread, toasted with some yogurt spread.




Someone asked me the other day why Ezekial bread was so much better than regular bread.  Here's my answer:

When you buy something that says "enriched flour" as one of the ingredients (or you'll hear them referred to as "refined flour"), it means that the wheat kernel has been stripped of the bran and the germ so that it can be ground into flour.  This eliminates most of the fiber and vitamins and minerals that you would get from the whole grain.  Since the good stuff has been stripped away, companies then add synthetic vitamins and minerals to "enrich" the flour.  Your body doesn't absorb these nutrients as well as the natural ones that are found in whole grains. Ezekial bread is made out of sprouted grains, which contain all parts of the kernel so you get the fiber, protein AND the vitamins and minerals.

Here's a little diagram I found that hopefully helps to explain.



And that's your lesson for the day.

For lunch I had some whole wheat spaghetti noodles (probably enriched, need to check the box) sauteed in garlic grapeseed oil with a handful of spinach and some minced garlic.




Supper was grilled pizza part 2.  I made semi-homemade dough this time, so instead of out of a tube, it came out of a box (this time I'm sure there's enriched flour in it).  I didn't do any crazy toppings this time, just plain ol' pork sausage.  I did add a bunch of garden fresh jalapeno peppers, onions, green peppers and banana peppers while I was browning the meat.




Note to self: smaller pizzas = easier when it comes to grilling.  I had a hard time getting the big one on and off the grill so I split the second piece of dough into two pizzas.






Pert' darn good.

Tomorrow's Friday!  Yippie!!

No comments: