Saturday, September 24, 2011

Gym QT

Today actually ended up being pretty darn productive.  Yippie!!

Saw a patient this morning and worked on some paperwork in the clinic for a couple hours.

Folded tons of laundry and did some dishes.

Played with Tyler and got to see him lift himself into a sitting position all by himself.

Made this awesome salad for lunch:  chopped spinach, chopped apple and pear, chopped sweet red pepper, feta cheese, walnuts and poppyseed dressing.

I like how everything was chopped and the same size, really need to do that more often with the spinach.  You can get more spinach in that way.  Today I read on someone's blog about how she puts the lettuce and spinach in a tupperware container and then uses a pizza cutter to chop it up and puts the rest of the salad ingredients in the tupperware.

I finally made it to the gym a little before 3, and spent some quality time (QT) there.  As I mentioned earlier, I'm starting a new weight training plan.  I hate just going and lifting randomly- I need structure.  I came across this free plan from and thought I'd try it out.  I'm not following the diet plan right now, because it's not too practical for someone that is still breastfeeding.

Sidenote- Besides training for the triathlon (keep in mind I didn't train as much as I should have), I haven't really pushed myself, workout-wise, since Tyler was born.  I let the weight come off gradually, and it has.  I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but I know it's not good enough.  I have lost tons of muscle tone since the pregnancy.  So even though my weight is within a healthy range, my body fat percentage is 26.7% (just measured it today).  Which technically, is considered within the healthy range for a female my age, but I'm used to being at about 22 or 23%.  I can just tell my muscles are not as strong as they were pre-baby.  That kind of scares me, because the weaker I am, the more prone to injury I am.  In my line of work, I can't afford to get hurt.  Plus the more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism is.  So this is what is jump-starting my new weight-training plan.

Today was Day 1, chest and triceps.  I really tried to push myself, so of course I could hardly lift my arms halfway through the workout.  I didn't have much juice left over for the triceps portion, but I finished.

Trying to take it quickly so no one notices I'm a big dork taking a picture of myself

I know the plan doesn't include any cardio at this point, but I'm not following that either.  I whipped out a quick 20 minute interval workout on the treadmill after the weights.  I know there is probably a better way to display this, but I just typed it out for ya.

(first 10 minutes at incline 0)
6.0   1 min
6.5   2 min
7.5   1 min
4.0   2 min
7.5   1 min
6.5   2 min
6.0   1 min
4.0  Incline 2.5%  2 min
       Incline 5.0%  1 min
       Incline 7.5%  1 min
       Incline 10 %  1 min
       Incline 7.5%  30 sec
       Incline 5.0%  30 sec
       Incline 2.5%  2 min
4.0  Incline 0%  1 min
3.5  1 min  

Of course I stretched afterwards, which felt great.  The whole workout took 1 hour 13 minutes.  Let's hope I can lift my kid tomorrow.

Want to hear an embarrassing story?  I was totally exhausted by the end of my workout, and walked out to my car in a brain fog.  I got in my car, and realized... this is not my car.  There was only one other guy in the gym by the time I was done, and he happened to drive the same color SUV as me.  He parked in the place I usually park, and apparently does not lock his door.  I jumped out the car and walked fast to mine, praying that he did not just see what happened.

Now for supper.  I bought some jalapeno hot pepper cheese chicken grillers from Fareway the other day, so hubby grilled those up.

For a side, I cut up a sweet potato and two russet potatoes, threw them in a ziploc and dumped a little olive oil in the bag.  For some flavor, I dumped in some Cookies seasoning mix.  I put them on a foil-lined pan and roasted them at 400 for about 50 minutes.

Holy hotness.  The jalapenos were super hot in the chicken, someone left some seeds in.  My mouth was on fire and my nose was running like crazy.  I didn't realize the Cookies seasoning mix was also quite spicy, and had crushed red pepper and chile powder in it.  All in all, it was still pretty good.

For dessert, I've always wanted to try to grill pineapple.  Pineapples were only $2.99 this week, so I bought one.  I cut all the skin off, and then sliced them into approx 1/2 inch slices.  I threw those in a ziploc bag as well, and added about 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of melted butter, a sprinkle of cinnamon and yes, a sprinkle of cayenne pepper (looking back that was stupid, but I didn't know about the raging inferno of a dinner we would create).  Then I put the bag in the fridge for about 30 minutes.

Hubby grilled them up, about 4 minutes on each side.  They were tasty, and I ate way too much.  I suppose you could eat them with some ice cream or yogurt, but I liked them plain.

So that was my day.  Phew.  Tomorrow I'm tackling more laundry and organizing Tyler's clothes.  He's getting so big, he doesn't fit into most of his 6 month stuff anymore.

Hope you're having a good weekend... look at me, sitting on the couch at 9 o'clock on a Saturday night.  Party animal!

No comments: