Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Help

I didn't really have too much to say last night, meals were nothing special-leftovers, forgot to take pictures of most of them anyways, and I was exhausted from being up the night before and working all day.

On a happy note, Tyler is doing much better.  No fever at all yesterday, but still not acting like his usual happy self.  We kept him with us at work in the morning then took him to daycare in the afternoon.  His first report card that said "sad".  We didn't think any kids ever got that remark!!  No "happy", "playful", or "busy".  Just "sad".  They said he was fine as long as someone was always holding him.  Let's hope he's not sad today.

Since I don't have any good food pictures to talk about, I figured I'd do a quick pitch for the book I read over our Vegas Vacation.  I started and finished The Help, by Kathryn Stockett.  In case you live in a hole in the ground, it is a New York Times bestseller, along with a hugely successful movie.  I haven't seen the movie yet, but I can tell you the book is for sure worth reading.





It follows three women in Jackson, Mississippi during the civil rights era- the 1960's.  They give you two sides to the story- one is a white socialite while the other two are African American maids.  They set out to write a book about the maids and their experiences working with white families.  It's such a moving story and kind of disturbing actually, to see the way some of the maids were treated.  I know it's all fiction, but it wouldn't surprise me if these things actually happened back then(or similar instances at least).  It's a very heartwarming and thought-provoking novel, so read it!

I usually don't like the movie versions of books that I like, so it'll be interesting when I see this movie, since everyone I've talked to absolutely loved it.  Stay tuned for the movie review.

That's all for now, I'll get some food pics going later today!

No comments: