Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

Since I had a bunch of green peppers (from one of my favorite patients!), I needed a recipe to use up a couple of them.  I had some quinoa that I wanted to use, so I made these bad boys for supper yesterday.

I didn't really use a specific recipe, kind of blended up a couple different ones that I found on the internet.  My recipes are basically based on what I have on hand.  Here's the approximate recipe:

4 bell peppers- I used green because that's all I had
2 T olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 T tomato paste
1/2 c water
1 carrot, grated (I chopped it)
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 c quinoa
2 c water
shredded cheese


Cut peppers in half, lengthwise, or just cut the top off.  Remove seeds.


In large saute pan, heat oil and saute onion, garlic, carrots and jalapenos until onions are translucent.  Add cumin and oregano and cook for another minute, stirring frequently.  Add tomato paste and 1/2 c water and cook for a minute.  Add quinoa and rest of water and stir well.  Cover and cook on medium low heat, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes, until quinoa is cooked.  


Fill the bell peppers with the quinoa mixture, sprinkle the tops with a little shredded cheese and place in baking dish with a little salted water in the bottom of the dish.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until the peppers have softened.




So this makes approximately 4 whole or 8 half peppers.  It was pretty good, but not too much flavor.  I think the spices need to be kicked up more, and I should have used chicken stock instead of plain water.  I think it would be good to use the cajun quinoa and black bean dish I did awhile back as a filler.



That was dinner last night and lunch today.  Still felt a little crappy this morning when I woke up, so I pretty much took it easy today, besides working the afternoon.

Tyler was a little crabby this morning.  He just gets so tired but wants to play, so he won't nap.  Finally got him to lay down for a little bit so I could have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.

Here's what was in it today:

  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • 1 cup almond milk
I combined these and heated in the microwave for 2 1/2 minutes, stirring every 20-30 seconds.  I ended up letting it sit for about 10 minutes while I calmed Tyler down because he started crying, so it got nice and firm. I hate soupy oatmeal.  

On top I used a glob of almond butter, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a drizzle of honey.  Yum yum.

Here's the almond butter I'm currently using


Close-up!


I already mentioned lunch- just some leftover peppers.  I wasn't too hungry since I ate breakfast at like 10:30.  Don't worry, I had a couple mini muffins when I first woke up this morning.  Have to eat something within the first hour of waking up to get that metabolism going!

After work this afternoon I managed to run to the grocery store to stock up.  Apparently everyone else loves Chobani, because it was nearly gone!!  I managed to swipe up 2 black cherry flavors and one pineapple.  For some reason there were tons of pineapple left.  Probably because it's 2%.

See those 2 containers way in the back?  They're mine now!


In case you're new to the blog, Chobani is a brand of Greek yogurt that is very tasty.  And better for you than regular yogurt, since it's strained more.  Less sugar and more protein.  I love the texture of Greek yogurt, thick and creamy, unlike regular yogurt.  Check it out (unless your grocery store is out)!

Supper tonight was taco Tuesday.  Made some taco meat using extra lean ground beef.  I made myself a taco salad, using spinach, black beans, avocado, a sprinkle of cheese, taco meat and salsa dumped on top.



Tomorrow is looking to be a crazy crazy day... hopefully the little man keeps up his sleeping through the night!

No comments: