Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Apple cinnamon oats

I've been waiting for awhile to cook this one up.... today seemed like a nice cool morning to do so.

Thanks to Tyler I was up and at 'em at 5 o'clock.  Fed him while pumping, then got my butt to the gym to do a legs workout.  Got back home around 7, and decided to make some apple cinnamon oats, courtesy of Happyhealthymama.

She makes a good point about too much sugar in the processed packages of instant oats.  This recipe has NO added sugar.  And it's yummy.  Hubby even thought so.

The link will take you to her recipe, I changed mine up just a smidgen.

1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup water
1 cup milk (I used coconut milk)
1 banana, thinly chopped
1 apple
1 T cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 T chia seeds
1/4 cup golden raisins

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine oats, water, milk and banana.  Stir and let sit a couple minutes.  Chop up apple and place in small bowl with raisins and a little bit of water, then microwave for about 45 seconds to soften.  When oatmeal is bubbling, stir mixture and try to mash up bananas until they blend in with the oats.  Stir in apple and raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg and chia seeds.  Continue to cook and stir until oatmeal is the desired consistency.  The longer you cook it, the thicker it will be.







After that good start to the day, I took Tyler to his 6 month check-up.  28 inches long and 18 lbs 8 oz.  Not too shabby.  His rash came back a couple days ago so we had to get cream for that, as well as drops for his ears.  Apparently he has too much ear wax.  Didn't know that was a big problem.  Maybe it's because we play our music and our tv too loud so his body is compensating for it.  Just kidding.

Lunch was not too spectacular because I didn't have a bunch of time to prepare anything, and after two salads yesterday I didn't feel like spinach.  So I make up for it by having no vegetables at all.  Two tiny pieces of leftover brisket, baked beans and sharp cheddar kettle chips.  And I had had such a healthy day up to that point.



After work tonight, I threw a couple frozen chicken breasts in the oven to bake.  After about 45 minutes I poured on some Budweiser hot wing sauce that we got from some friends, then let it bake another 10 or 15 minutes.  Accompanying the chicken was steamed broccoli and wild rice.  Not too shabby.




Since Tyler went to bed, I've been working on charts catching up on some blogs.  Sometimes it makes me jealous, reading about what they got at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods (looking at their pretty pictures is pretty depressing too).  I know I shouldn't complain, but we could try so many new things if we had one nearby.  The downside, I guess, would be that I would spend a ton more money.

Speaking of spending money, this morning on the Today show (always on in the background in the AM), they said they were going to talk to some extreme couponer's who save $1000 a month on groceries.  Do people really spend much more than that on groceries a month?!  That seems like a lot, but I guess if you have a big family...?

Ok no more tangents, time for bed.

No comments: