Saturday, October 29, 2011

SUGAR

No post yesterday because there were no notable meals.  All leftovers from this week.

Today I decided to treat my pancreas to an abundance of sugar.  I know I haven't been eating the best lately, and today definitely made me crave a plain ol' bowl of spinach.

The plan for the day was to head to Dike to go spend time with my aunt and her family for her 40th birthday.  My mom and some other family members were going as well.  I wanted to bring a little treat for her and the crew, so I made a little snack mix.

While shopping at the grocery store, I decided to make something sweet for the Hubby as well.  The bright idea of Seven Layer Bars popped into my head.  Very poor decision.

I started the day off meaning well, with a pomegranate Chobani.

Off I went to the clinic to see a patient, to the bank to cash a check, grocery store for supplies and hit up a second-hand store on the way home to pick up a Halloween costume for Tyler.  Which by the way, I found a costume for $1.  How awesome is that.  Pictures to come later.

First came the Seven Layer Bars.  I made them a little differently in order to minimize dirty dishes, but I don't think it mattered.  Here's the quick recipe:

Seven Layer Bars
1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
1/2 c butter
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 c semisweet chocolate chips
1 c butterscotch chips
1 1/4 c coconut

Melt the butter and mix with graham cracker crumbs.  Press into 9 x 13 pan.  Cover with sweetened condensed milk, then sprinkle remaining ingredients on top.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.



Easy peasy.  And so sinfully good.  I would hate to know the calorie content.


Once that was in the oven, I started on the Halloween snack mix.  You can pretty much make this with anything- my mom makes this at Christmas time a lot with Christmas M & M's and slightly different ingredients.

Halloween Snack Mix
8 c Rice Chex
3 c Cheerios
2 c pretzel sticks
1 c Reese's Pieces
1 c candy corn
2 c dry roasted peanuts
1 package almond bark

Combine all ingredients into a HUGE bowl.  Melt almond bark and pour over ingredients.  Stir quickly before almond bark hardens.  Spread onto waxed paper to cool.



Even easier.  I really like the salt mixed with the sweet.  I brought this to the party and just left it there, don't need more of that laying around here!


So after all that "baking", Tyler and I hit the road (I had a leftover pork chop for lunch).  Hubby stayed home since he's been travelling a lot lately.  Tyler did so well on the ride over, just playing with his toys and taking a little nap.  We had a nice time visiting with family, wish we got to see them more often.

On the way back, Tyler got a little fussy but then fell asleep again.  He must be tuckered out, because he's still sleeping, 4 hours after we got home.  I'm sure this means he'll be up at 3 or 4 AM.

Hubby made up some dinner for us, and I was excited to get some food in that wasn't so sugary.  He made up a couple steaks in the cast iron skillet. It was pretty good, as usual.  Steak with pasta and a bowl of spinach.  I had to get the steak at the store today, it was only $4.50 a pound for New York strips- the two huge steaks I got only cost  approximately $8.  Can't beat that.



That's all for today, coming way down off my sugar high.  Time to hit the gym tomorrow!!

No comments: