Sunday, October 2, 2011

Especially for You

Well hello there!  I survived my day, aren't you glad?

My day started bright and early, at about 4:00 AM.  Tyler decided he need to wake up.  It's cool- had to get up at 5:00 anyways.  Had to pump and get ready to drive to Cedar Rapids for the Especially for You 5K.

The race started at 8, but since I didn't register online beforehand, I wanted to get there early to register.  When I got there at 7, it was a balmy 35 degrees out.

A little apprehensive before the race


After I registered, I met up with my sister-in-law Katy, who was running with me.  We made our way to the starting line, somehow.  There was over 6000 people in the race, most of whom were wearing the purple race shirt.  It was pretty cool.  Pretty emotional too, lots of breast cancer survivors as well as "In Remembrance" signs.

I was not too excited about running this morning, since I only got a couple hours of sleep and I had woken up with a sore throat and not feeling the best.  Thank goodness Katy was there, or I probably would have slacked off.  I think the cold weather helped too, I had to keep moving or I would have frozen!!

We ended up with a time of about 28:45, which is waaay better than what I thought I'd get.  We might have even been faster because the first part of the race was basically a game of frogger, going in and out of the crowd trying to get around the walkers.  Then before you know it, we came upon the finish line.  I think our official time will be horrible though.  About 30 feet in front of the finish line, they herded you into channels so they could collect the tags from your race bib.  It took at least five minutes to walk that little bit to get rid of our tags.  Oh well.

Here are some shots of us after the race in my car, since neither of us brought a phone or camera to the race.

 
Sis-in-law


Finished.


Had to run some errands afterwards then back home.  Quick shower and it was off to volleyball camp for the afternoon.

Hubby had some friends over today so he smoked a bunch of meat.  It was so good, we're all in a kind of a meat coma right now.

I did make up a batch of crockpot applesauce today that I will discuss at a later date.

Before I sign out, I wanted to share this picture that I keep forgetting to post.  One of my patients has the craziest shoes, I just love them!  I love ASICS, and I have no idea where she found them.


Definitely can't miss 'em!

No comments: