Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pork Day

Today was deemed a day o' pork.  Last week I bought 2 pork shoulders for about $12.  They were each at least 3 lbs.  The best way (in my opinion) to cook pork shoulders is to pop them in the crockpot.  So I made one a typical bbq pulled pork and the other a spicy pork, kind of Mexican in flavor but not really.  Recipe is posted below.

Hubby always needs his pancakes for breakfast on Sundays, but I was out of mix today, so I had to make them from scratch.  I use a powdered buttermilk when I make them from scratch, and just use the recipe on the buttermilk container.  We have a bunch of rotting bananas, so I smashed one up and threw it in the mix to make banana pancakes.  They turned out ok (better than the last bananas pancake episode), but kind of flimsy.  We also had a package of bacon in the fridge that was past its expiration date, so I made that up in the oven, and now we have some leftover bacon for the week.  Yummo!


Today was a work day, as I tackled the attic.  There's just a bunch of junk and boxes with nothing in them up there.  I made a pretty good dent, but still have to haul all the boxes down to the curb for recycling pickup tomorrow.  Hopefully I remember to wake up early to do that.

I took a break sometime to eat a couple pepperoni pinwheels that Hubby made for lunch.  He just loves those things!  They are pretty good, you can't go wrong with crescent rolls in a tube.

Oh yeah, and before I started on the attic, I threw the pork in the crockpots.  One had a packaged slow cooker bbq mix with it- seasoning mix with ketchup, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar.  For the other pork shoulder I used a recipe I found on the web, but now I can't find the link.  Sorry to whoever came up with this... guess you don't get credit.  I changed most of it anyways.

Spicy Pork
1 pork shoulder or pork butt  approx 3 to 3.5 lbs
1 c bbq sauce
1 can rotel
3 T chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Mix together and pour over pork shoulder in crockpot.  Cook on low for 8 hours.  I also added 2 T of a homemade mango hot sauce that a friend gave us.

While that cooked, I worked on the attic and packed up some stuff to take to Goodwill.  Dropped off a couple bags of goodies and then picked up some more stuff at Walmart.  I'm so proud of myself for actually getting rid of stuff... I'm kind of a pack-rat.  I've always been that way, just can't let go of some stuff.  Hopefully I don't end up on Hoarders someday.


Here's a couple shots of the pork:


Shredding


Spicy Pork with cheese and spinach on a tortilla


The finished product


Both crockpots made 6 full Glad containers.  That will be at least two meals for each container, sometimes three.  So I made at least 12 meals for $12.  Not too shabby.  The pork freezes pretty well too.

For dessert I had one of my seven layer bars from yesterday, which by the way I realized earlier today that the name makes no sense.  I realize I didn't add any pecans like some recipes do, but that's still not seven layers.

  1. Crust
  2. Sweetened Condensed Milk
  3. Chocolate chips
  4. Butterscotch chips
  5. Coconut
So I guess they're technically five layer bars.  Must be missing something from the original recipe.

Tyler was pretty fun today, he is getting to be a little daring though.  I walked in to get him after a nap today, and he was standing up, leaning over the top of his crib.  Little stinker.  Guess it's time to put the mattress down.... again.  Think it only goes down one more notch.  

Here's a parting shot of our little creeper.  Like our homemade gate?  Don't worry, he's always supervised.  =)


Don't mind the disaster zone in the background... Tyler likes toys

 

No comments: