Sunday, July 10, 2011

Hopefully first of many posts...

Yikes.  I have already attempted to start a blog several times, but always wimp out or get lazy.  Here's hoping this time will be different.  My motivation for starting this is to give outsiders a glimpse of how we attempt a  healthy lifestyle living in a small town in rural Iowa.  My husband and I are chiropractors in a small farming community in Iowa, and it's our goal to improve the health of our community, but it's time to focus on improving our health, which has gone to pot since having a baby in March.

Let's jump right in.  Today was a good day.  I signed up to do a sprint triathlon in August with my friend Cheri in hopes of motivating myself to get rid of baby weight.  I am not an endurance person, so this is a big challenge to me.  This morning Cheri and I put in a 5K run, and this afternoon I finished off a 45 minute bike ride (not sure on the mileage).  Here's a pic of me after the ride.  Looking at other people's blogs, I've realized that it is necessary to put silly and unattractive pictures of yourself to entertain people and be honest.  So here ya go....
This doesn't really capture the buckets of sweat pouring off me.  Gotta love the humidity here.


Somewhere in between the workouts I drove to Dubuque (45 miles away) to pick up some healthy food stuff with the little man.  Don't get me wrong, I love our local Fareway, but it doesn't have half the things that the new grocery stores have- no organic produce, not very many gluten-free options (although it's getting better), etc. This is one of the downfalls of living in such a small town.

Today I ventured to Hy-Vee.  Here's a shot of the cart before I loaded it up with the rest of the produce:

Lots of goodies: quinoa, flaxseed meal, spinach, tostitos hint of jalapeno chips (I love chips!)




Look I found a baby on sale!  Such a good little baby.


Rundown of meals today:
Breakfast was a piece of wheat berry Earth Grains toast with natural peanut butter and a small glass of V8 fusion

Lunch was a McDouble from the dollar menu and a mocha frappe.  Don't judge- I had a crying baby in the backseat and was starving from my run.  If only Quiznos had a drive-thru.

Supper was a grilled chicken breast marinated in light Italian, steamed broccoli and some noodle thing we had on the shelf.  Dessert was a handful of bing cherries, even though there was an open package of Nutter Butters on top of the fridge (what happens when Lee grocery shops).



That's all... this girl's going to bed!

No comments: