Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Choice of beverage

Happy hump day.  Since I was up at 4 am, I just stayed awake and went for a little swim this morning. It was much harder than I anticipated, so I think I'll be bumping up my swim workouts since the countdown to the tri is on.  When I got home and showered up, I had a bowl of mango Chobani, blueberries, coconut and chia seeds.  I looove mangos- fresh, salsa, margaritas- but for some reason this one wasn't my favorite.  It was good, don't get me wrong, but it was a little more sugary than what I'd like.  It did taste great with the coconut.


I did have a quick piece of peanut butter toast after that because I was still hungy.  That was the theme of the day- I was always super hungry!  I'm pretty sure I was actually just dehydrated though.  More on that later.


Lunch was another spinach/salmon salad.  Just put blueberries and a little mozzarella cheese on with my sesame ginger dressing.



Also had some of the jalapeno chips that I had yesterday.  And I finished the rest of the bag.  

Those bags are pretty tiny, trust me. 

We had to pack up Tyler at lunch and take him to our friends Doug and Erica's house so she could watch him since the babysitter got sick.  Had a crazy afternoon in the clinic and finally made it over there to pick him up.  My friend Heidi and her two boys were visiting- so good to see them, even if it was for only a short time. Doug fired up the grill and we had some delicious jalapeno cheddar brats, as well as a pasta salad and corn on the cob!!  I only had one little cob but I expect to have many more this summer!



I have just been hungry all day, but I know it's because I didn't drink enough water.  I try to drink at least 64 oz. as a minimum every day.  I probably needed more yesterday because I had a massage and went on a long, humid run.  I get kind of sick to my stomach when I get dehydrated.  

I pretty much only drink water.  I will have an occasional glass of juice, most likely orange or V8-based.  Pop very very rarely, and hardly any milk.  I have all kinds of reasons for staying away from milk, that's another post (and for those of you worrying, I get plenty of calcium).  

Believe it or not, I have quite a few patients that say they don't like water.  If that's the case, there are other options.  They do make a Crystal Light now that is flavored with Stevia, instead of aspartame.  I've tried the lemonade flavor and it is excellent!! Highly recommend it if you're bored with water.  There are some calories in it, but they're minimal.  Look for Crystal Light Pure.  If you want more flavor, but no calories and no added sweeteners of any kind, just throw some cut-up lemons or limes, or even cucumbers in a glass of water if you want a little flavor.  No matter how you get it, just make sure you get enough water throughout the day.  The body thrives when it is well-hydrated!





And I haven't really looked at a pop label lately to look at the ingredients, but NO. Water in pop does not count.  Ice cubes in pop do not count.

That's my soapbox for the day... leave me a comment if you have any questions!! 


No comments: