Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

Whether we like it or not, 2012 is here.  I just can't believe how fast the last year went.  Our lives changed so much this past year, with the addition of Tyler.  He is so much fun and he makes us smile every single day.  So blessed.

This weekend also went by fast.  We were very busy on Friday, so we just had left-over pasta on Friday night and went to bed way early.  Saturday morning I took off to Cedar Rapids to return a couple things and do a little shopping.  Before I left, I had myself a nice, hot, gluten-free breakfast.

I cooked up the remainder of this:





It's basically a hot cereal, that is somewhat like oatmeal I guess?  It's hard to describe.  Tastes good and it's gluten-free.  I sprinkled some cinnamon and slivered almonds on it and drizzled some honey over the top.



I was very close to stopping for something to eat in CR, but didn't give in because I knew we were going to eat a ton later.  We didn't want to do much for NYE, since we've been traveling so much lately, so we just went over to our friends' house- thanks Doug and Erica- in the afternoon and then left early so we could put Tyler to bed.  We had lots of yummy food.

My contribution was a fruit salsa, which was easy.  I just chopped up 2 Granny Smith apples, 1/2 container of strawberries, 2 kiwis and an orange, then sprinkled with a little lemon and lime juice.


I bought these delicious cinnamon and sugar pita chips to go with it.



I also tried a new recipe, Buffalo Chicken Rolls.  I usually make a Buffalo Chicken Dip, which is amazing, but kind of high on the calories.  These are much healthier, but they turned out just ok.  Had to get some Ranch dressing to dip them in, which kind of eliminates the whole point of making them.


I pretty much followed the recipe, but used mozzarella cheese instead, and cut up strips of celery to use instead of slaw.  Should have used more sauce and the bleu cheese.

They made some pulled pork and cheesy potatoes, which were soooooooo good.  Here's my plate, I had about 3 more plates after this.  Erica made some cherry cheesecake brownies for dessert so of course I had a couple of those.



That brings us to today.  I'll go over my 2012 goals here in a minute, but a quick overview of the meals first.

Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal with blueberries, almonds and honey



Sandwich Thin with Swiss cheese, left-over chicken, bbq sauce- threw in toaster oven until cheese melted and topped with spinach



An Omaha steak (sirloin I believe) that Hubby got for Christmas- by the way, he got a ton of steak, so look for more of that.  Added some steamed broccoli and a baked potato on the side.  I ate half my steak and shared with Hubby.



Oh, and I got out the ice cream maker today!! My first attempt was a BIG success.  I made a pineapple sorbet, and had to restrain myself from eating the entire container.  All I did was cut and core a pineapple, chop it up in my food processor with 2 T of lemon juice, then put it in the ice cream maker.  It was the perfect consistency, and it didn't even need any extra sugar.





I spent the first day of the new year doing a little cleaning, working out and watching some movies.  3 things I don't do nearly enough.  I finally got to see Water for Elephants, which I wanted to see ever since I finished the book.  As usual, the book was way better.  Not a fan of Robert Pattinson's acting, but I guess the movie stuck with the book for the most part.  Tonight we watched Bridesmaids finally.  It was funny but definitely not as pee-my-pants funny as everyone said.  Maybe I was just too tired.

Ok, goal time.  Not resolutions- no vague "I want to eat healthier" or "I want to lose weight".  These have to be measurable.  That's one thing that's been drilled in my head since chiropractic school.  Nothing too dramatic or anything, but it's a good starting point.  I'd still like to add a major challenge this year, like my triathlon last year, but I don't really know what I want to do yet.

1.  Go to the gym at least 2 times a week.  I teach my exercise class 2 times a week, so if I can go to the gym 2 more times, that will be 4 workouts a week, and with my schedule, that is good enough for me.

2.  Try a new recipe 4 times a month.  I didn't say once a week, because I'm sure there are some weeks when we won't feel like experimenting.

3.  Drink more water- at least 64 ounces a day.  I plan on getting out the Nalgene bottle and make sure I drink two of them a day.

4.  Read 1 new book a month

5.  Yoga- 2 times a month

6.  Do a cleanse/detox program.  We sell these at our office and I usually try to do one a year, but last year I was pregnant and nursing, and you aren't supposed to do a cleanse under those conditions.  So as soon as I'm done pumping, I will nail down a date.


Those are the goals for now, written down for all to see.  Let's see if I can do a recap every month to see if I accomplished them.  Never too late, get a pen and paper and write down your personal goals for the new year!

No comments: