Tuesday, January 3, 2012

No more caucus

Boo hoo.  So sad the caucus is over.  No more endless commercials, no more recorded messages calling our office, no more politicians at Pizza Ranch.  Whatever shall we do?!  ;)

Don't really feel like turning this blog into a political one, so I'll just complain a little and be done.  Although if you didn't catch any of the Republican debates, too bad, because they were pretty entertaining.

I'll just stick to my food.  I've been getting into the salads again, which feels good.  Yesterday for lunch I had a spinach salad with turkey, feta, and sliced almonds, with a balsamic vinaigrette on top.



Supper was kind of a fish and chips night- potato-crusted cod sandwiches and tater tots.  I basically wanted to get rid of a couple things in our freezer.  The cod was from Fareway, just had to bake it.  Tater tots have been in there for probably a year, so guess it was time to get rid of those.



I made a little homemade tartar sauce to go on the sandwiches.  If you buy tartar sauce, don't bother because it is super easy to make.  Just a dollop of Light Miracle Whip, spoonful of dill relish, tiny bit of spicy mustard and a sprinkle of dill weed.  Sometimes I'll add some lemon juice as well.

I just had a couple of the tots, because I also had some roasted cauliflower.  I cut up a head of cauliflower, put it in a plastic ziplock with some garlic grapeseed oil and some seasoning (Roasted Veggie seasoning that our office manager gave us for Christmas).  I dumped it on a shallow baking sheet and roasted at 425 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.  I like it a little crispy.  It was incredible.  Note to self, roast more veggies!



I had a couple strawberries leftover from my fruit salsa, so what goes better with them than French toast?  Since I was up early this morning with Tyler, I used 5 pieces of Earth Grains' Wheat Berry bread, dipped it in a mixture of 2 eggs, approximately 1 T vanilla, little bit of milk and some cinnamon.  Sorry about the lack of measurements, I just mix it up until it looks good.

Slap it on the griddle and enjoy with strawberries and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.



Lunch was another chicken-Swiss-bbq sandwich.  Yum.



Finally got home after workout class and grocery store, and had a buffalo chicken salad.  I picked up some premade buffalo chicken pieces from Fareway- precooked so all I had to do was heat it up.  Along with spinach, celery, carrot, feta and the chicken.  I did sprinkle a tiny bit of ranch dressing to soup it up.



I also added some hemp hearts to my salad.  Yeah, I don't really know too much about them.  I get a lot of samples sent to me in the mail, and the other day we got a huge package of these things.  I thought I'd give it whirl and add a little to my salad.  Hopefully my digestive system doesn't crash overnight.  We'll see.

That's all for now, catch up with you on Thursday.

No comments: