Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Warm baked autumn oatmeal

Got a new recipe for you coming up... even though it's closer to winter, I chose an autumn recipe for you.  =)

Update on Tyler (since most of my readers are family): He is doing better, sleeping better and happier.  Still not quite himself, not eating as much as usual and kind of slow.  His nose is a nonstop snot fountain.  Hubby took him to the doctor today, and she wrote a prescription for antibiotics to see if that would help.  She said she didn't really know whether it was bacterial or viral.  He has some redness in the throat and the lungs might have some junk in them, but no major ear infection though, thank goodness.  We are just so hesitant to give him antibiotics because of side effects and resistant bacteria.  However, we're traveling soon so we need to get this nipped.  We will definitely be packing the probiotics for him.

Don't have a bunch of meals to show you, because they haven't been stellar.  We haven't gotten groceries, so it's "eat what we have in the fridge time around here".

Last night we had the rest of the meatloaf and potatoes, along with some steamed broccoli.  Here's a pic, courtesy of Hubby.  We had to split this one plate of food, which was fine with me because I had two hours of volleyball last night and didn't need a bunch of food weighing me down.



Today I did whip up a little recipe that one of my patients gave me a while back.  I was in need of a warm breakfast, so I made this oatmeal dish.  I'll give you the recipe then let you know my modifications.

Warm Baked Autumn Oatmeal
1 3/4 c water                                1 c old fashioned oats
2/3 c milk                                     1 carton egg substitute
3 T brown sugar                           1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon                          1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt                                    1/3 c dried fruit

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray 8x8 pan.  Place water in saucepan and bring to boil; stir in oats and simmer, stirring occasionally.  In a small bowl, whisk together milk and eggs, set aside.  Add brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to oats, stir well.  Blend in milk mixture and dried fruit.  Pour into prepared dish.  Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until center is just set.  Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving.  If desired, place dollop of yogurt on top before serving.


Ok, my modifications: I didn't have egg substitute so I used 2 eggs and 1 T of flax seed with 1 T of water.  I used cranberries as my dried fruit (I really wish I had golden raisins) and I didn't have nutmeg so I used a dash of pumpkin pie spice.

I couldn't wait the 15 minutes to cool down...

My review- It was kind of a weird texture with the eggs, it was kind of spongy.  I have no idea if I got the eggs right since I don't know how much a carton of egg substitute contains.  The flavor was awesome though, and I love the dried fruit.  Thanks for the recipe Janet!!

Another favorite meal of mine from the last couple days, vegetarian nachos (meaning I didn't have any kind of meat on them).  Blue corn tortilla chips with black beans and queso blanco and Rotel.  So yummy.  Wish I had some spinach so I could top it off.



Here's a picture of our little sicky:



Thoughts and prayers tonight to my grandpa Merlyn, who is in the hospital (last I heard) with an infection in his leg and my dad, who is at home resting after knee surgery.  Get better everyone!

No comments: